While many individuals turn to wigs after undergoing hair loss for health reasons such as chemotherapy or other diseases, there are a large number of people who also wear wigs for other reasons. When you turn to wigs as a hair replacement or style option, there are literally hundreds of options at your fingertips. This can make the process of choosing just one, or a few, an extremely daunting task.
Therefore, when choosing a wig, you must take some basic features into consideration. Of course, you can always have wigs custom-made for you, but this can be quite pricey. Depending upon the type of wig that you want, these hairpieces can be significant investments, making it essential that you do your research to ensure that whatever decision you make is the right one for you.
Primary Features of Wigs
When it comes to wigs, the primary distinctions are made by considering different types of hair and styles. However, there are also different features of the numerous wigs to take into consideration, especially if you wear glasses, or are extremely concerned about comfort. Therefore, when you’re looking at different wigs, you should be searching for things such as:
- Hand-Tied Hairlines – These kinds of wigs look more natural along your hairline because the front is made by hand.
- Monofilament Wigs – These kinds of wigs ensure that you have a natural looking part on top of your head. This is because the fibers are tied by hand to a mesh or monofilament base, allowing your natural skin color on your scalp to be seen.
- Open Cap Construction – Open cap construction allows for more breathability and comfort when it comes to a wearing a wig all day long, meaning that you won’t feel overheated during the hot summer months.
- Open Ear Tabs – Open ear tabs are essential on a wig if you wear glasses on a regular basis. While you can attempt to wear glasses with any wig, these kinds of wigs make it comfortable to do so without feeling as if you’re exposing the fact that you’re wearing a wig.
- Sizing Adjustments – While wigs are created to fit to your head, not every wig will fit you perfectly. Therefore, many come with a Velcro band on the inside to allow you to adjust the circumference of a wig up to one inch in either direction.
Types of Wigs to Consider
There are numerous different kinds of wigs for you to consider when you are trying to figure out which one is right for you. Of course, choosing a wig is an extremely personal thing, meaning that what’s right for you may not be right for others. Some of the most common types of wigs include:
- Lace Wigs – Lace wigs are among the most comfortable and natural-looking types of wigs available on the market today. They are extremely versatile and can be worn in many different styles. While the base is quite delicate, this helps facilitate the natural look that allows you to seamlessly incorporate your natural hair with the hair of your wig.
- Synthetic Wigs – Synthetic wigs are extremely durable, can be tailored to any hair color and style and are extremely comfortable. Often, synthetic wigs are among the most reasonably priced options available for individuals looking for hairpieces. However, they aren’t known to last far beyond three to six months.
- Human Hair Wigs – Human hair wigs are beneficial because you can treat them as you would your own hair. When you purchase higher-end human hair wigs, you can even dye or treat the hair, allowing you to keep the wig looking beautiful while still tailoring it to your preferences. While these can take some significant effort to care for, they are often worth the investment because they are extremely long lasting.
- Monofilament Wigs – These kinds of wigs are remarkable because they make it look as if your hair is growing out of your head, allowing for a more natural look. This makes it one of the most desirable types of wigs, as it provides the comfort and style that many women want when they have to wear a wig on a daily basis.
- Hand-Tied Wigs – If you’re looking for the best of the best, hand-tied wigs are among the most premier options available on the market. They are the most natural looking of all wigs, allowing you to look completely natural while still enjoying the comfort of a monofilament wig cap.
Popular Brands to Look for When Purchasing a Wig
While there are many different wig brands out there, some are more prominent than others. Some of the most popular brands of wigs include:
- Raquel Welch – For more than a decade, Hollywood’s own Raquel Welch has been creating and innovating amazing wigs in a great variety of styles, types and colors.
- Jon Renau – This family owned and operated brand has been around for over 40 years, allowing the company’s wigs and other hairpieces to simply get better over time. With Jon Renau’s wigs, you are provided with an experience like no other, making it no surprise that this brand is consistently regarded as a customer favorite.
- Revlon – With a name that is held in high regard when it comes to all things beauty, it is no surprise that Revlon is among the most popular names in wig creation today.
- Noriko – For durability and craftsmanship that is anything but ordinary, you can turn to this proper brand. Requiring extremely limited maintenance and attention, these wigs are available in a broad array of shades, allowing you to achieve whatever look you want.
Shopping Tips: How to Make Your Wig Work for You
When you’re in the market for a wig, you may not know where to start. With thousands upon thousands of different styles, shades and brands available, narrowing it down to just one, or a couple, appears to be nothing short of mission impossible. Some helpful shopping tips to make the entire process easier include:
- Trying On All Wigs That Catch Your Eye – While you may think you know what will look best on you, don’t ever assume anything. Make sure you go into a store to try on a few different styles to get a better idea of what really works for you.
- Consider the Length of Time You’ll Wear It – While higher-end wigs often appear to be more luxurious and realistic, you must remember that most of the time these hairpieces are short-lived. Unless you are planning on wearing a wig for a long time, it is acceptable to purchase a less expensive wig so long as it works with your face shape and preferences.
Wig shopping can be anything but easy. With so many different types of wigs to choose among from numerous brands and in many styles and colors, the options can be quite daunting.
By following a few simple steps, you can greatly simplify this entire process, making it easier than ever for you to find a wig that works for your budget, your preferences and your lifestyle.