This really is a question that numerous parents face when their young kid suddenly gets the urge to learn the way to play guitar.
There are a number of factors to take into account.
1) You must consider the exact age of the child
2) You must also consider how big the child is, particularly the hand span.
Firstly I would propose an acoustic, nylon string as opposed to electrical. The reasons for this are as follows:
1) Acoustic or classical is more immediately accessible and doesn’t need amplification which can be rather hard to set up if you’ve never done it before. In the event you choose electric guitar you’ll also need an amplifier and jack leads.
2) The cost of an acoustic or classical is way less than an electrical, particularly with all of the extra accessories you need for electrical.
3) It Is a good deal less noisy and should you’d like a quieter life then your much better off.
4) Acoustic is in my opinion a better way to learn the principles.
5) Your child is not as likely to pick up inferior technique that’s significant as a beginner.
So here are the options for acoustic guitar and which will suit a child the best:
Children’s hands are quite little and so struggle to span the depth of a full-sized guitar, however a 3/4 sized guitar should have a slimmer neck. This is not much more difficult for kids to use.
Half-sized guitars often get a smaller body, but a lot of them have a full- sized neck. They’re actually only a space-saving’ guitar that is big are probably more suited to a adult or a young teen.
Full-size guitar: This is normally greatest for adults and adolescents nonetheless I do have some younger students who are fairly comfortable playing with a full-size guitar.
Guitarlele: These are extremely small-scale guitars and have become hugely popular in the last few years, in fact I have one myself. The drawback with a Guitarlele however is that although they have 6 strings like a guitar that is standard, due to the smaller scale they cannot be tuned into normal tuning, so this choice I would rule out as a beginner.